Starmer dumps doormat?

John Young cryptome at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 17 12:49:38 GMT 2011

With technologial limitations to understand the fine grains of packet
transmission I am biting off more than chewable:

In nearly instantaneous, but not quite, action the first ACK of a
transmittal may be seen as part of transmission or of receipt
since it must go to the receiver's system for indication of correct
target as well as a useful path to the target.

Hand properly shook by a battery of indicators associated with
the ACK and its system-required follow-ups, content transmittal
begins but is not instantaneous despite analogue-world appearances
by miserably limited human sensors. Multiple packets are generated
and hurled to distant processors before gradual reassembly as
an analogue-perceptible content.

Among the packet processors are caches of previously used
routes stored for expediting the packet distribution and reassembly.
Bits of the content may be stored as well, that is not clear, but
would make efficiency sense. Algorithms exist for identifying
often used phrases for encapsulation, condensation and re-use.
"I love you beyond compare, cupcake." "Sell immediately," and
so on.

And you thought garble and incoherency was attributable not
deliberate.

The snarl between service providers and authorities in changing
from analogue interception to digital is based, I understand, on the
different means of transmittal as well as how content is coded and
decoded.

The split between analogue pen register access and interception of
message allowed authorities to trace connections without accessing
content, the latter requiring a more stringent court approval (so it
is asserted despite regular abuse).

Splitting digital transmission from digital content was considerably

more difficult due to the continuous interplay between the two and
packet technology requirements. What seems to have been done
is to establish a kind of analogy for legal dummies between two
comms that are not accurately analogizable. That is, to assert
a separation of transmission from received content which was
actually not quite possible except with suspension of disbelief,
always a prime undergirding of law if not science.

Transmission and receipt unfolded, if you will, as Peter Tomlinson
suggested, in near simultaneity but actually in rapid fire alternation:
every packet carried code to tell it where to wind up no matter
how far bounced through multiple kinds of transmitters. And not
just between the origin and destination but at a large number of
way stations -- switches, cabling and hubs, satellites, wireless
hubs and tracking gadgets galore scattered widely but operated
by humans and their precious gear all happily concealed by the
greatly expansible term "system administration."

A favorite interception technique is to exploit access to the
way stations without the originator or the receiver, and most
importantly, the regulators, having a clue this is being done.
Sysadmins are crucial to this for they know just how to do
this without being detected. A couple of whistleblown on
the practice but most keep quiet.

What is wondrous is how suspension of disbelief in sysadmins
is sustained. They constitute a covert priesthood almost as
unregulated as hackers and cybersecurity experts, well, to
some credulous sacks of blood and bones they are indistinguishable.
A law and science unto themselves, beware, or revere as if
Assange walking the earth.