FYI: The Challenge of Turning Phones into Credit Cards - The Challenge of Security & Why the UK is Key.

Peter Tomlinson pwt at iosis.co.uk
Fri Feb 25 16:39:13 GMT 2011

The transaction model described appears to be very similar to the
contactless payment method using debit/credit cards that is being rolled
out here now - and a dual PR push for contactless debit/credit for
public transport in London, featuring Transport For London and a head
Mastercard honcho, happened this week [1]. The extra gained by using the
mobile phone is the bonus for the user: a receipt stored in the phone.

There is indeed a great deal of work going into transaction security for
this architecture, and of course there are several architectures
available for the phone and Simcard and microSD card (maybe with
Bluetooth as well). This one will run and run - and a number of security
people are tearing their hair out as they try to work through the matrix
of not just secure element architectures but also of the multiplicity of
phone operating systems.

Its a consumer product; money has to be made by transferring money and
by executing the real transactions (buying things and services [2]);
there will be some casualties, but a great number of people will like it.

Peter

[1] on London buses before the Olympics, on all TfL services a bit later.

[2] And money transfer in some countries