Sky blocks Newzbin, important legal and technical questions need answering

Igor Mozolevsky mozolevsky at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 17:10:44 GMT 2011

On 15 December 2011 16:26, James Firth <james2 at jfirth.net> wrote:
> It came quicker than I anticipated.  The MPAA told a meeting I was at that
> it was in the process of obtaining injunctions on other ISPs to widen the
> block on the Newzbin website under ss97A of the CDPA.
>
> The expansion to Sky raises some important questions:
> 1. Did they fight the order?

This is rather surprising especially given that just recently in
Scarlet v. SABAM ECJ said that there is nothing to suggest that IP
rights must be absolutely protected (at [43]) and a fair balance
between other rights and interests must be struck (at [45,46]).

1. http://curia.europa.eu/juris/liste.jsf?language=en&num=C-70/10

Cheers,

--
Igor M.