Sky blocks Newzbin, important legal and technical questions need answering

James Firth james2 at jfirth.net
Thu Dec 15 16:26:18 GMT 2011

It came quicker than I anticipated.  The MPAA told a meeting I was at that
it was in the process of obtaining injunctions on other ISPs to widen the
block on the Newzbin website under ss97A of the CDPA.

The expansion to Sky raises some important questions:
1. Did they fight the order?
2. Was the order modified in any way to take into account that the blocking
technology at Sky is, as far as I understand, significantly different to
BTs?

On point (1), Sky could be forgiven for rolling over easily.  BT were hit by
a potentially massive costs ruling.

Full analysis here:
http://ejf.me/pB

Long URL: