Card transactions by proxy

Clive D.W. Feather clive at davros.org
Tue Apr 5 19:01:34 BST 2011

Matthew Pemble said:
> Or, frankly, as Jeremy Clarkson found out to his cost (and I have
> experienced with my wife being able to set up a DD on the one non-"joint and
> several" account I have), anyone can set up a DD with your account because
> there is no effective checking.

I've had one problem with DDs. One day I checked my statement to find a DD
payment to someone I'd never heard of. The bank kept telling me that I
would just get my money back under the DD Guarantee, but took ages to
understand that I couldn't invoke it because I didn't know who the payee
was and didn't have a DD with them. It got sorted in the end, but took a
while.

A friend in the USA gets his pay, just like I do, by bank transfer from the
employer. Except that a few months ago he discovered that it was actually a
sort of reverse DD: the employer had a cash flow issue and just took back
everyone's pay a couple of days after he'd paid it! Does anyone know if
that can happen here?

--
Clive D.W. Feather          | If you lie to the compiler,
Email: clive at davros.org     | it will get its revenge.