Doormat-ologist needed

Clive D.W. Feather clive at davros.org
Wed Sep 8 14:27:17 BST 2010

Roland Perry said:
>>>However, I suspect that an answerphone on someone's
>>>premises would be regarded as on a private telecoms system (because it's
>>>beyond the white BT box).
>> Still the same offence if not done by or with the authority of the owner.
> It's not the same RIPA offence,

Huh?

Public network: offence defined by s.1(1), definition in s.1(5), penalty in
s.1(7), paperwork in s.1(8), more definitions in s.2 et.seq.
Private network: offence defined by s.1(2), definition in s.1(5), special
case in s.1(6), penalty in s.1(7), paperwork in s.1(8), more definitions in
s.2 et.seq.

They are both illegal interception under the same basic rules with the same
penalty. I bet an indictment just says "contrary to s.1 RIPA 2000".

In what way are they not the same offence? (Other than the trivia of
whether the network is public or private?)

--
Clive D.W. Feather          | If you lie to the compiler,
Email: clive at davros.org     | it will get its revenge.