50 characters ? (was RE: Man jailed over computer password refusal

John Wilson tugwilson at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 20:00:32 BST 2010

On 15 October 2010 19:49, Brian Morrison <bdm at fenrir.org.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 19:43:00 +0100
> John Wilson <tugwilson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I destroy and safely dispose of my YubiKey
>
> And if you do this before you are served with any notice then surely
> it's entirely a defence to say that your key is now gone and you are
> unable to provide it?

Nicolas' point was that the Police might well find the key in the
search, which is a real risk.

Are you suggesting that immediately destroy it claim that the Police
missed it but that I subsequently destroyed it?

If so that seems a rather risky thing to claim. I'd have to explain
why I'd destroyed the key and I'm not sure I could do that in a way
which would be likely to convince a Jury. I could, I think, explain
why I'd reused the key but then I'd have to have kept it and there's
always a risk that the search would have found it.

I think Police incompetence is by far the most credible excuse:)

John Wilson