Contactless bank cards

Cybergibbons cybergibbons at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 20:45:11 GMT 2010

On 17 November 2010 20:04, Roland Perry <lists at internetpolicyagency.com> wrote:
>> As to how you could connect a victim's contactless card to a terminal
>> that is "far away", surely it is not hard to conceive of a device
>> which you hold near the card which does nothing but receive and
>> transmit to the card, and then forward this conversation on via,
>> e.g. WiFi, to a terminal further away -
>
> That's the problem I have (and also my answer to Ian Mason's enquiry). How
> to make something which imitates an RFID card over a two-way data link.

It's perfectly possible to relay RFID communications over a distance.

It's easy to demonstrate this using two RFID readers with PN53x chips
in them - one reads the card, the other emulates it.
http://www.libnfc.org/documentation/examples/nfc-relay

If you use USB, the latency and unpredictability causes issues with
some card readers - this doesn't work to relay to TFL readers for
example. However, you can use any microprocessor to perform the relay
to avoid this, and use an RF link instead of wires.

--
Andrew