Contactless bank cards

David Walters david at jellybaby.net
Tue Nov 16 09:08:55 GMT 2010

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 8:40 AM, Peter Mitchell <otcbn at callnetuk.com> wrote:
>> And as the fraud requires
>> the active connivance of the merchant, it's going to be hard for them
>> to get out of criminal liability.
>
> It needn't be the actual merchant doing it. It could be a dishonest till
> operator. You pocket cash out of the till, and make up the shortfall with
> phoney card transactions. All the merchant knows is that he has sold 1000
> doughnuts today and taken a total of £3,500 in cash and bank debits; he
> can't check how each doughnut was paid for.

Many years ago I had a Saturday job in a fairly old fashioned pet shop
(lots of loose pet food sold by the lb in paper bags) and even then
the boss knew how much cash he had taken and how much had been on
credit cards. Although he didn't know how many bags of rabbit food he
had sold.

>> They don't necessarily
>> itemise free/bundled calls, although most will on request.
>
> Doing it only on request [on bank statements] is probably enough for many
> such frauds to succeed for a long time, since most people won't request it.

I don't think any of the card companies are doing that though? I still
get fully itemised statements.