Consultation on change to RIP interception definition

Peter Tomlinson pwt at iosis.co.uk
Thu Nov 11 14:35:02 GMT 2010

Ian Batten wrote:
>> However, there are global moves to create a common method to be far more secure online (an eID method) so long as you have your internet transactions secured with a user ID [1] digital certificate that is invoked by some specific action by the end user (e.g. with a password or by plugging in a physical token) at the start of such a session. Once we get that operating...
>>
> The heat death of the universe will occur sooner.  Why would anyone voluntarily sign up for such a scheme, which makes ID cards look positively cuddly?
You might have to in order to do business with some big, global online
retailers - 'thin client' to go in your PC has been mentioned, but
Chatham House Rule applies to the meeting at which the ID of the source
was mentioned (i.e. I can't say who).

Directgov, however, wants a method just for UK public sector services,
but the more open concept of making this available to all online service
providers has been indicated to them. And the US White House consulted
this summer, asking for ideas for a general method to have safe online IDs.

Peter