Cost of traffic data access?

Peter Fairbrother zenadsl6186 at zen.co.uk
Sat Aug 14 11:25:02 BST 2010

Ian Batten wrote:

> On 13 Aug 2010, at 19:40, Peter Fairbrother wrote:
>
>> If the Police want to get traffic to and from a server/IP address,
>> how much does it cost them? I know the ISPs charge, but can anyone
>> say how much?
>>

>> For a more specific example, suppose they want a month's traffic
>> data to and from a TOR node - quite a lot of data, size, time, IP
>> addresses - but only one IP to watch. How much?
>
> What do you mean by "traffic data" in this context?

Packet sizes, times, source and destination IPs.

> What logs would an ISP hold such that TOR traffic would be recorded
> in any form?

Logs of the above data - aren't ISPs required to record it for all
users, and keep it for 6 months/two years/whatever?

I thought they were anyway, isn't it some EU law?

> Isn't this straight interception?

No, there is no content involved, and therefore no interception.

It comes under s.22(4) of Chapter 2 of Part 1 of RIPA, "Acquisition and
disclosure of communications data", and lots of people can demand the data.

Offhand I can't remember exactly who, it's in one of the SIs somewhere,
but for the Police it's something like a Chief Inspector, and various
equivalents in other forces/agencies.

-- Peter Fairbrother