Being safe on the internet (was Re: Here we go again - ISP DPI, but is it interception?)

Ian Batten igb at batten.eu.org
Thu Aug 12 10:30:39 BST 2010

On 12 Aug 2010, at 10:12, Roland Perry wrote:

> In article <4C62F16E.9080405 at bbk.ac.uk>, ken <k.brown at bbk.ac.uk>
> writes
>
> >A colleague of mine ... [told] the people who took problem calls at
> >IBM ... exactly what the programmers had done wrong in the source
> code >of a program for which we didn't have the source code - the
> error was >produced by an obvious typo in the assembler. Obvious to
> him that is. >Not me.
>
> I did that few times for DOS4 ! Although (as an OEM who wrote, with
> my own fair hand, a few customisations) I had the source code for
> several of the device drivers and utilities, I didn't for the main
> body of the product. The parts in question were written in Intel
> assembly code.

Compilers were a lot simpler, though.   Fixing problems without the
source was easier when compilers generated fairly stereotyped code and
the object instruction sequence was closely related to the source
program.   It's a lot harder these days because the relationship
between source and object is more complex, and the object code has to
deal with the fact that modern architectures have moved a lot of
things out of the hardware into the compiler --- a 1960s compiler had
much less knowledge of instruction sequencing than one today, because
the issues (ho ho) were different and the hardware designers had done
a more complete job...

ian