Being safe on the internet (was Re: Here we go again - ISP DPI, but is it interception?)

Matthew Pemble matthew at pemble.net
Mon Aug 9 20:00:21 BST 2010

Folks,

> Would it not be possible to have an enhanced operation which you send, by
> way of a parameter, the maximum number of characters you are prepared to
> allow it to copy/concatenate. Cunningly, that might usefully be the
> remaining size of buffer that you've allocated.
>
> Obviously(?) there must be a simple reason why not.

? Yes, they didn't think about it at the time. If they had, they would have.
As 'they' have now.

So, you now have the option of using strcpy_s(var, maxlen, value), having
malloced the var to give you the space. Except most of the textbooks don't
mention the newer, possibly secure, functions.

M.

--
Matthew Pemble