Being safe on the internet (was Re: Here we go again - ISP DPI, but is it interception?)

James Firth james2 at jfirth.net
Thu Aug 5 12:05:53 BST 2010

Jon Ribbens wrote:
> You might as well say why not make burglary legal and the victims
> must sue in civil court for trespass and conversion.

No, I'm not.

I'm saying that the virtual world in this respect is different from the real
world.

Anyhow I'm not even sure that entering through an unlocked door in the
physical world is illegal, isn't this just a case of civil trespass?  It's
certainly not B&E or burglary if nothing it taken.

As I said, the aim of the law should be to catch criminals, not criminalise
the curious.  In order to strike a fair balance I don't think we should be
criminalising highly subjective actions.

James Firth