Being safe on the internet (was Re: Here we go again - ISP DPI, but is it interception?)

Ian Batten igb at batten.eu.org
Sun Aug 1 21:40:30 BST 2010

> The server, as in a dedicated host offering professional services
> should
> protect itself against anything the "internet" throws against it,

Except that's both contrary to the law in every other field, and
incredibly elitist.  Either it's an argument that the only people who
should publish content on the Internet have to be elite security
ninjas, or that the severity of the crime is inversely proportional to
the presumed competence of the victim.   Banks should be expected to
protect their branches, but shoving a shotgun into the face of the
cashier is nonetheless a crime.    I suspect James Firth's front door
isn't JCB-proof, but I assume he'd regard someone who used a bulldozer
to break into his house as a potential criminal.

ian