[git-remote-gcrypt] gpg: signing failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device

Callum Macdonald chiark.greenend.org.uk at callum-macdonald.com
Wed Oct 7 11:15:26 BST 2020

On macOS, with gpg installed, I got the following error:

gpg: signing failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
gpg: [stdin]: sign+encrypt failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device

By finding this[1] I was able to solve it via:
 export GPG_TTY=$(tty)

It looks to me as though here[2] the environment variable $GPG_AGENT_INFO is being checked, and if null, then the --no-tty flag is added to the gpg command. In my system, this variable is empty.

gpg (GnuPG) 2.2.15
libgcrypt 1.8.4

Perhaps the error is in my setup. Usually I'd post an issue to the repo in the hopes that this might save somebody else finding the same problem in the future. Posting this here in the hopes of achieving the same result.

CM.

[1] https://github.com/keybase/keybase-issues/issues/1712
[2] https://git.spwhitton.name/git-remote-gcrypt/tree/git-remote-gcrypt#n386