mailscripts 28

Sean Whitton spwhitton at spwhitton.name
Sat Dec 24 19:17:00 GMT 2022

Hello,

I'm pleased to release mailscripts 28 with some new Emacs commands:

* mailscripts-git-format-patch-drafts
  -- import patches generated by git-format-patch(1) to Gnus or notmuch
     drafts (patches welcome to support other MUAs)

* mailscripts-git-format-patch-attach
  -- compose mail with patches generated by git-format-patch(1) attached
     (Git-specific alternative to the built-in vc-prepare-patches)

* mailscripts-git-format-patch-append
  -- append an inline "-- >8 --" patch to an unsent message
     (supports any Emacs MUA)

mailscripts 28 also contains the following changes:

  * mailscripts.el:
    - new DWIM wrapper command: mailscripts-prepare-patch

    - notmuch-extract-{thread,message}-patches: add Gnus support
      notmuch-extract-message-patches{,-to-project} are now aliases for
      mailscripts-extract-message-patches{,-to-project}.

    - if mailscripts-extract-message-patches identifies no attachments,
      it now offers to pipe the whole message to 'git am'

    - don't offer to detach a HEAD that's already detached
    - rewrite short description and add a brief commentary
    - load the notmuch library only when code that requires it is called.

  * Add & install a README, to both binary packages.

You can find the source at https://git.spwhitton.name/mailscripts for
browsing online or git cloning.

Releases are made by publishing signed git tags to that repository.  The
tag for this release is named '28', and is signed by me.

On Debian/etc. systems, apt-get install mailscripts elpa-mailscripts

-8<-

mailscripts -- collection of scripts for manipulating e-mail on Unixes

This package is a place to collect together, and distribute, small
scripts for manipulating e-mail on Unixes.  The idea is that those of us
handling our e-mail using tools like offlineimap, mbsync, notmuch, mu,
mairix etc. often end up writing small helper scripts, and some of the
scripts are worth tidying up, documenting and sharing with others, but
they're small enough not to deserve packages of their own.  This is a
place for them.

mailscripts is primarily developed as part of the Debian project.  In
July 2018 some notmuch-using Debian Developers arrived at the DebCamp
preceding DebConf18, and started discussing useful mail-handling
scripts, actual and envisioned.  We decided it would be a good idea to
create a package like this.  If you have written a useful mail-handling
script, please consider submitting it to this collection.

mailscripts.el -- Emacs utilities for handling mail on Unixes

mailscripts.el is an Emacs Lisp library.  It's original purpose was to
make it easy to use scripts shipped in Debian's mailscripts package from
within Emacs.  It now also contains additional, thematically-related
utilities which don't invoke any of those scripts.

--
Sean Whitton