rjk at terraraq.org.uk
Sat Feb 14 15:54:49 GMT 2015
I have released rsbackup 2.0.
rsbackup is a backup tool that uses rsync to back up your files to
* It uses rsync’s ability to hardlink unchanged files together to
keep multiple copies with at only the space cost of the
* Backups may be taken from multiple machines (using SSH) and
stored to multiple filesystems, which could be fixed or external
* Old backups are removed automatically, according to a per-volume
policy giving maximum age and minimum number of backups.
* The current backup status can be generated as a file or sent
as an email, with plain text and HTML format supported.
* Hook features are provided to allow operator-supplied programs to
be run at key points during the backup process, to ensure that
devices are mounted, to support backing up via snapshots, etc.
Changes in 2.0:
* Incompatible change: pre-backup and post-backup hooks are now run
even in --dry-run mode. The environment variables RSBACKUP_ACT
can be used by the script to distinguish the two situations.
rsbackup-snapshot-hook has been modified accordingly.
* Incompatible change: The log format has changed. The old
per-backup logfiles are gone, replaced by a SQLite database.
Old installations are automatically upgraded.
* New check-mounted option verifies that a volume is mounted before
backing it up.
* New store-pattern option allows stores to be specified by a glob
pattern instead of individually.
* New stylesheet and colors options allow operator control of the
stylesheet and coloration in the HTML version of the report.
* The semantics of lock are now documented.
* Shell scripts supplied with rsbackup no longer depend on Bash.
* Dashes are now allowed in hostnames.
* The order in which hosts are backed up can now be controlled with
the priority option.
* Reports now include counts of various error/warning conditions in
the summary section; email reports reflect these in the subject
line. The always-up option is slightly modified: backups of
always-up hosts are attempted, resulting in error logs, even if
they do not seem to be available.
* New --database option allows the path to the database to be
More information about the sgo-software-announce