[Debian-uk] Debconf15 travel

Jonathan McDowell noodles at earth.li
Mon Mar 23 12:34:12 GMT 2015

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 08:37:15AM +0000, Edward Betts wrote:
> Steve McIntyre <steve at einval.com> wrote:
> > It's time we started planning this, so I've made the usual wiki
> > page:
> >
> >   http://wiki.earth.li/DebconfTravel2015
> >
> > I'm planning on driving from Cambridge, obviously, and I expect so
> > are others. The convoy should be nice and easy this time...
> >
> > Add yourself and let's get organised!
>
> I'd like to add myself to this wiki page. To edit the page I need an
> account, when I try to create a page I get a message that says "Bored
> of spammers."
>
> It would be great if somebody could enable new account sign up, or
> create an account for me with the username EdwardBetts.

I got somewhat bored of cleaning up thousands of spam accounts on a
regular basis and disabled new accounts. I've re-enabled them for now,
but if anyone has any advice on how to run a wiki without having to deal
with spammers all the time I'd appreciate hearing it. I'd enabled mail
verification which helped a little, and a requirement to be on the
KnownMembers page which stops the actual spam appearing but doesn't stop
idiots trying again and again to register an account so they can spam.

J.

--
I have found the monster - the monster is us.