[Debian-uk] Dropping Cambridge bid for 2017

Neil Williams codehelp at debian.org
Sun Dec 13 21:17:38 GMT 2015

On Sun, 13 Dec 2015 21:59:45 +0100
Daniel Pocock <daniel at pocock.pro> wrote:

> On 13 December 2015 21:35:31 CET, "Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo"
> <manuel.montezelo at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi folks,
> >>
> >> I'm sorry to say that we won't be submitting a complete bid for
> >> DC17 in Cambridge. We're partway ready, but we're not going to be
> >> there
> >for
> >> 15th December. In the last couple of weeks, my preferred
> >> accomodation partner has NACKed us and I've been too busy with
> >> other things since [1] to work on replacment options. We hope to
> >> find more time to make
> >> complete bid in future, maybe DC18 or DC19.
> >>
> >> Good luck to the other teams bidding to host in 2017!
> >>
> >> [1] My wife Jo has had a major surgical procedure and I've been
> >>     helping her recuperate at home.
> >
> >Pity, but understandable.  Thanks for all the work that you put
> >there, and hope that Jo is better now!
> >
> >BTW, I recall having a conversation with her about possible
> >accomodation in Cambridge, I don't recall which options there were,
> >but at least at first glance it doesn't seem very easy to find
> >accomodation for a huge number of people, with Heidelberg in mind
> >(maybe attendance would not be so high, but I think that it would be
> >in the ballpark at least).
> >

> If student accommodation is vacant in the summer months it might be
> affordable.

Student accommodation in Cambridge is typically full during the summer
months - there are a large number of summer schools and Cambridge
colleges make significant proportions of their income from those
schools. The reputation of the university only feeds the demand which
makes the costs much higher than other university towns. Proximity to
London also has an impact on the base cost of general accommodation. It
was always going to be one of the more difficult parts of the Cambridge
bid and has been under constant evaluation, especially whether any of
the student accommodation could be made affordable by using personal
relationships between the many DD's who were educated here. A lot of
work has already gone into the problem of accommodation in Cambridge
for the bid.

--

Neil Williams