[Debian-uk] UK DSL _modem_ recommendation

Mike Crowe mac at mcrowe.com
Thu Aug 15 19:47:53 BST 2013

I've run my Debian box as a NAT router connected to my ADSL connection
for many years. To do this well so that a network interface on the box
gets the public IP address from my ISP I've used a D-Link DSL-300G
ADSL1 Ethernet modem then a Speedtouch USB ADSL1 modem and more
recently a Draytek Vigor 120 ADSL2+ modem.

Unfortunately I've had two of the Vigor 120s fail for me after less
than a year each. Now it's out of warranty Draytek aren't interested
so I'm looking at alternatives.

It looks like many ADSL routers support bridge modes but from what I
can tell (and this is why I'm posting to debian-uk) these modes are
useless in the UK because we use PPPoA rather than PPPoE and unlike
the Vigor 120 they don't translate between the two.

I can't believe I'm the only person trying to do this. What does
everyone else use?

Thanks.

Mike.