[Debian-uk] A forthcoming event - U3 - Ubuntu and Upstream UnWorkshop Day - might you be interested?

Jon Spriggs jon at spriggs.org.uk
Fri Aug 6 23:27:13 BST 2010

On 28th August, in Manchester, a small group of us are holding an
Ubuntu and Upstream UnWorkshop day (or, for short, U^3 or U-Cubed),
where we're hoping to work with the communities around Ubuntu and the
upstream projects that feed into Ubuntu to improve both Ubuntu and the
upstream projects themselves, because without the great work that's
achieved in those upstream projects, Ubuntu wouldn't be as usable and
as popular as it is.

It's an opportunity to help show users how to get involved in wider
distribution work - both in the projects they're using already (maybe
Ubuntu, maybe just some specific Free & Open Source applications) but
also in the upstream projects, such as Debian, Gnome and others.

We're hoping to find support on the day from people experienced in
more than just Ubuntu, so we're reaching out to anyone in the North
West UK region to see if people are prepared to help out, and in
return, they get the opportunity to show what the Upstream projects do
to people who don't know that Ubuntu is more than just the work of one
company.

After selecting the date (based on the "Ubuntu Global Jam" event), we
discovered that it's clashing with the Debian BBQ, so we realise that
this time around, we might not be able to get much in the way of help
from the Debian community, but if you're available between 11am and
9pm and can get to Manchester, or even if you can just be around for
part of the day, please get in touch with me, or better yet, go to
http://u-cubed.eventbrite.com to reserve a ticket.

Because we've got limited space, we can only allocate 60 tickets, and
to make it fair for everyone, we're giving people access to these
tickets at 1PM on Thursday 12th August (giving people a chance to find
out about the event), but if you're able to come along to help out
with technical information or guidance, please let me know and I'll
make sure that you're invited when the flood gates open!

I really hope that we can make this day great, and I'd hope that this
event helps to strengthen the bond between a great distribution and
it's even better upstream!

Jon "The Nice Guy" Spriggs
One of the U^3 Organisers