<html>
 <head>
  <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0">
 </head>
 <body>
  <span dir="ltr" style="margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0;">Hi Tom,</span>
  <br>
  <br>
  <span dir="ltr" style="margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0;">Sep 25, 2026 15:11:44 Tom <wirelessduck@gmail.com>:</span>
  <br>
  <br>
  <span dir="ltr" style="margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0;">> Hi,</span>
  <br>
  <span dir="ltr" style="margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0;">></span>
  <br>
  <span dir="ltr" style="margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0;">> I'm attempting to package an openrc init script and conf.d for openbao for my personal use.  The /etc/init.d/openbao script and /etc/conf.d/openbao are already developed by Alpine linux[0] so I don't need to be concerned with writing those.</span>
  <br>
  <span dir="ltr" style="margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0;">></span>
  <br>
  <span dir="ltr" style="margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0;">> I would like to know if there are any guidelines available for the packaging configuration of these two files.</span>
  <br>
  <span dir="ltr" style="margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0;">></span>
  <br>
  <br>
  <span dir="ltr" style="margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0;">not yet. Mark and myself are working on it, but nothing official yet.</span>
  <br>
  <br>
  <span dir="ltr" style="margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0;">> Can I use dh_installinit for openrc-run init scripts? I'm guessing it would not yet support /etc/conf.d files?</span>
  <br>
  <span dir="ltr" style="margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0;">></span>
  <br>
  <br>
  <span dir="ltr" style="margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0;">No, not really. I started writing a new helper called deb-openrc-helper which should do that; but it is still very much WIP.</span>
  <br>
  <br>
  <span dir="ltr" style="margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0;">> Is openrc supported by update-rc.d and invoke-rc.d? I saw that policy mentions using update-rc.d for enabling autostarting of the daemon.[1]</span>
  <br>
  <br>
  <span dir="ltr" style="margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0;">No, those explicity cater only to SysV init scripts and not "native" openRC ones.</span>
  <br>
  <br>
  <span dir="ltr" style="margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0;">></span>
  <br>
  <span dir="ltr" style="margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0;">> Alternatively without any debhelper utility, is it sufficient to add the files into debian/package.install and call rc-update add/del in postinst/prerm?</span>
  <br>
  <br>
  <span dir="ltr" style="margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0;">Yes, that should do it.</span>
  <br>
  <br>
  <span dir="ltr" style="margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0;">></span>
  <br>
  <span dir="ltr" style="margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0;">> Is there any policy regarding whether a package should start/stop the service upon package install/remove/purge with `rc-service <service> start/stop` if we are not using update-rc.d?</span>
  <br>
  <span dir="ltr" style="margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0;">></span>
  <br>
  <span dir="ltr" style="margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0;">> Do the files still go into /etc/init.d/ and /etc/conf.d/? I noticed openrc 0.64 was released upstream recently and wasn't sure if there was any change in preferred file paths for Debian.</span>
  <br>
  <span dir="ltr" style="margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0;">></span>
  <br>
  <br>
  <span dir="ltr" style="margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0;">With 0.64 RC_PATH is now supported. This means services can be started from under /usr to. Since my proposed Debian policy amendment to get proper openRC support would require that (also to not overwrite / conflict existing sysvinit ones), we decided to install the services to /usr/lib/rc/init.d (and conf.d), resp.</span>
  <br>
  <br>
  <span dir="ltr" style="margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0;">So I would advise to not install it for now, since once we ship 0.64 (and codify this in policy), a different path will be needed.</span>
  <br>
  <br>
  <br>
  <br>
  <span dir="ltr" style="margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0;">Let me know if you have any more questions. </span>
  <br>
  <br>
  <span dir="ltr" style="margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0;">Help in writing the helper program is much appreciated btw ;) </span>
  <br>
  <br>
  <span dir="ltr" style="margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0;">best,</span>
  <br>
  <br>
  <span dir="ltr" style="margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0;">werdahias</span>
  <br>
  <br>
  <span dir="ltr" style="margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0;">PS: sent from mobile, excuse the formatting/brevity </span>
  <br>
 </body>
</html>