The future of elogind/libelogind0

Lorenzo plorenzo at disroot.org
Wed Oct 18 15:39:09 BST 2023

On Wed, 18 Oct 2023 14:22:26 +0100
Mark Hindley <mark at hindley.org.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 18, 2023 at 01:29:38AM +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
> > Package: procps
> > Version: 2:4.0.4-2
> > Architecture: amd64
> > Depends: libc6 (>= 2.34), libncursesw6 (>= 6), libproc2-0 (>=
> >     libtinfo6 (>= 6), init-system-helpers (>= 1.29~)
> >
> > And this dependency is not satisfiable by current version of
> > libelogind0;
>
> I think we have to grasp this issue and consider the future of
> elogind.

Can seatd replace elogind or some features (for example for desktop
users) are missing?

> [...]
>
> I think we need to consider other options. I have some theoretical
> avenues to explore (in no particular order):-
>
>  - Patch elogind to use libsystemd0 directly. This was considered
> previously[2] but rejected because elogind lacks, for example, scopes
> and slices. I don't even know if it is practical to fake, emulate or
> ignore these features.

I'd like to add another one here:
Make possible to have libelogind and libsystemd installed at the same
time, and build an elogind version of some packages.
When elogind was not in Debian I used to build my own version for
personal use and I remember I did it that way..
I had to rebuild my own version of dbus and polkit (with two tiny
patches) and desktoppy stuff was working..
Maybe also a rebuild of Xorg is needed to run it with a non root user
but that would be 3 sources rebuild and we can forget about
libsystemd0..

Lorenzo