Draft of email to debian-devel

lorenzo plorenzo at disroot.org
Tue Jun 20 11:18:47 BST 2023

Hi Mark,

> My personal view is that we should resist an orphan-cron-jobs package
> and keep cron jobs in their parent package. But others may disagree?
I agree: I think many systemd users (and developers too) that are
running systemd prefers cron jobs over timers. There is even work in
progress to migrate the default cron from cron (upstream dead since
ages) to cronie, so removal of cron jobs will be a problem not only for
alterative init users.

> and uncoordinated removal can render users' systems unbootable[2].

Can you elaborate on this? I may be wrong, but I don't understand how
the removal of mdadm script can render the system unbootable: the
script runs mdadm in monitor mode and starts in runlevel 2. There is no
script (removed) in runlevel S, I suspect a fail to boot will involve a
problem in the kernel or in udev rules (that are still there)?

Lorenzo