Draft of email to debian-devel

Mark Hindley mark at hindley.org.uk
Tue Jun 20 10:41:02 BST 2023

Hello all,

There have been a few recent discussions on #debian-init regarding the removal
of src:mdadm's initscripts[1] and orphan-sysvinit-scripts.

I am concerned that the current rate of drop of initscripts may become
unsustainable[2]. Daniel Baumann is also proposing an orphan-cron-jobs
package[3][4].

My personal view is that we should resist an orphan-cron-jobs package and keep
cron jobs in their parent package. But others may disagree?

I would like to improve the way initscripts are represented in the Policy. Just
waiting for users to report breakage after they have been dropped seems
inadequate. I am aware that this has the potential to reopen a whole mess of old
wounds and I want to keep it as uncontroversial(!) as possible.

An initial draft for discussion is attached. All comments are very welcome.

Thanks and best wishes

Mark

[1]  https://bugs.debian.org/1037496

[2]  There are currently about 1150 packages in unstable main which ship a file
     in /etc/init.d

[3]  https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1037496#55

[4]  There are currently about 220 packages in unstable which ship a file in /etc/cron*

--
Mark Hindley
GPG: 506C 15A4 2B0A F5A0 A854  23EE D28A 45BF 3287 D649