pending patches to sysvinit and lsb packages

Mark Hindley mark at hindley.org.uk
Sat May 7 10:14:11 BST 2022

Adam,

(with apologoes for initially replying without enough thought and coffee!)

On Sat, May 07, 2022 at 07:09:21AM +0100, Mark Hindley wrote:
> > On the other hand, perhaps we'd want to merge lsb-base into sysvinit-utils,
> > to avoid a transitively-essential package that ships nothing but a 646 byte
> > script but costs every single Debian installation over 2 orders of magnitude
> > more in various metadata, dpkg status entries and so on.
> >
> > That'd get rid of src:lsb completely.

So once lsb-release-minimal has arrived in testing and we happy with the
implementation, moving the lsb-base scripts to sysvinit-utils would fix #946399,
although probably not in the way the reporter wanted. Or maybe moving them to
initscripts makes more sense semantically?

Mark