Contributing to init diversity

Joost van Baal-Ilić joostvb-debian-init-diversity at mdcc.cx
Thu Jul 29 08:18:32 BST 2021

Hi Bruno,

On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 01:13:57AM +0000, Bruno Melo wrote:
> Hi, my name is Bruno.
>
> I'm here to ask how can I contribute to Debian init diversity? I'm using Devuan now. Is there any way I can contribute to Debian in init area?

Thanks for your interest and your offer of help.

Debian 10 buster shipped with systemd-sysv and 5 other init systems:

runit-init
s6
daemontools-run
sysvinit-core
openrc

I haven't checked yet what we can expect for upcoming Debian 11 bullseye.
Anyway, fixing any bugs / offering patches in those alternative init systems
would be very welcome.  At e.g.  https://bugs.debian.org/daemontools-run you
can view bugs in the daemontools-run package.

If more guidance is needed, please ask: here and/or e.g. at https://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/ .

Happy Hacking, Bye,

Joost