Bullseye release notes / install instructions for alternative inits

Carsten Leonhardt leo at debian.org
Tue Jul 27 20:03:48 BST 2021

Matthew Vernon <matthew at debian.org> writes:

> Debian uses systemd as its default init system. Other init systems
> (such as sysvinit and OpenRC) are supported, and the easiest time to
> select an alternative init system is during the installation process.

"init" silently dropped the "Pre-Depends" on "runit-init". This means
that to install "runit-init", "init" needs to be removed, which only
works with the "I really know what I'm doing" dance when removing
essential packages.

I'm not sure if and how that should be mentioned in the instructions.

Regards

Carsten