restart a service during boot?

Thorsten Glaser t.glaser at tarent.de
Tue Aug 3 18:40:11 BST 2021

Hi *,

I’m wondering if it is possible for the sysvinit system to
restart a service during boot.

Background:

• udev logs, by default, to klog, which is very wrong
• I have a patch for it to try syslog first
• udev is normally started… rather early
• early, syslog isn’t available yet
• so udev will still log to klog even with the patch

It turns out that restarting udev once inetutils-syslogd is up
fixes the problem, but I can’t figure out how this can be done
within the sysvinit/sysv-rc/insserv framework.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
«MyISAM tables -will- get corrupted eventually. This is a fact of life. »
“mysql is about as much database as ms access” – “MSSQL at least descends