Bullseye release notes / install instructions for alternative inits

Mark Hindley mark at hindley.org.uk
Sun Aug 1 18:38:58 BST 2021

On Sun, Aug 01, 2021 at 01:35:47PM +0100, Matthew Vernon wrote:
> My lowest-possible-effort test of "apt-get install gnome" on my
> XFCE/bullseye/sysvinit system fails because something is depending on
> libsystemd0 (which libelogind0 conflicts with).

AFAICS this is gdm3 which still depends on libpam-systemd directly. I have just
tested gdm3 in a VM with libpam-elogind-compat to circumvent the dependency with
no problems.

I can't find any reference to gdm3 actually requiring systemd --user. The
changelog only mentions XDG_RUNTIME_DIR (which libpam-elogind provides).

The BTS is erroring at the moment so I couldn't read the contents of #767365 to
see if there is any more detail.

Mark