Response to active removal of initscripts

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Thu Jul 2 18:54:44 BST 2020

Dear Thorsen.

No need to Cc me.

Thorsten Glaser - 02.07.20, 19:19:58 CEST:
> On Thu, 2 Jul 2020, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > This does not sound good. It makes me want to switch of my last
> > Debian based system to Devuan, unsubscribe from development related
> > mailing
>
> As if Devuan had the resources to survive a sysvinit removal from
> Debian.

Currently it is still there in most packages. It depends on how many
maintainer choose to remove init scripts, really.

> > lists of the Debian project and probably even cease my little
> > packaging effort I still do for Debian. Cause in the end I am
> > seriously fed up with
>
> Even if you only use a downstream, packaging should be done upstream.

I get that. But I am fed up with it. Debian feels more and more hostile
to me.

> > Debian. And this may be sooner than later if I see an update of
> > Network Manager removing the init script here as well, cause I rely
> > on its
>
> This particular package is of no concern to me given I use ifupdown,
> but others will follow its example…

For KDE Plasma the package is important. Especially when it comes to ad
hoc WLAN connections without having to deal with WPA supplicant.

> > I bet either someone musters up the courage to bring this up, again,
> > on debian-devel or debian-project or so… I think there are quite
> > some
>
> The amount of people bringing it up is getting low, too.

I may bring it up, once I braced myself for the s… storm to come then.

> > Debian developers though who do not agree with removing init scripts
> > like this.
>
> Yes, but sheeple. Also, they might be more fed up with the
> endless discussions…

Then Void Linux might be an option.

> > The other option would be to let the difference between Devuan and
> > Debian become bigger and fork any package where the Debian
> > maintainer removes a init script or something else required by
> > other init systems.
>
> As if…

Again, if only just some Debian package maintainers behave in such a
way, it would probably not be too much of a problem for Devuan.

That is basically one reason I still maintain fio. As long as I do it,
the init script I created for running fio in daemon mode will remain
there. I am also open to accept a runit service directory.

Best,
--
Martin