New upstream version of elogind (v241.1)

Mark Hindley mark at hindley.org.uk
Wed Mar 13 06:13:34 GMT 2019

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 04:05:00AM +0100, Adam Borowski wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 06:36:16PM +0000, Mark Hindley wrote:
> > The new upstream version of elogind is available (241.1). I have a proposed
> > package for upload to Debian that I would be grateful for review of and
> > comments.
>
> The package seems to work for me fine.  Unmodified packagekit can
> reboot/shutdown, regular programs linked against libsystemd work, etc.

Good!

> Alas, the debdiff is really huge.  I don't know how to get this through
> during the freeze.  Yes, the regression without it from Stretch is quite
> nasty -- can't have any modern desktop environment with any init other than
> systemd -- but a whole new upstream release with such massive changes will
> probably be rejected.
>
> That's not really a fault on our side -- required patches were provided
> since January _2018_ (then June, then November, December, ...), without any
> response from the systemd side -- but with the last minute change of plan,
> to patch not policykit but elogind, it's elogind that would need to get a
> freeze exception.
>
> Not sure what to do.

Yes, I appreciate this difficulty.

My suggestion is to upload into unstable. Once it is there we can try to get it
accepted. If not for the initial release of buster maybe the first point
release? Having the ABI compatible version in unstable will help with getting
the default-logind | logind dependencies done as well -- as the lack of it was
sometimes being used as an excuse not to change the dependencies.

I have just pushed finalised 241.1-1+debian1 to the definitive tree. Are you
able to upload?

Many thanks

Mark