Elogind v239.1 Devuan/Debian combined source

Ian Campbell ijc at hellion.org.uk
Fri Nov 16 10:53:53 GMT 2018

On Thu, 2018-11-15 at 13:30 +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Ian Campbell writes ("Re: Elogind v239.1 Devuan/Debian combined source"):
> > Indeed, it does seem rather odd for anything outside the pam machinery
> > itself or something closely related to the management of a pam backend
> > to be linking directly against a pam_foo.so module (whether the systemd
> > one or another).
> >
> > I wonder if the need to do so (assuming there really is one) is an
> > obscure enough case that a lintian warning would be justified? Even if
> > it were very low level warning the next (Debian) archive-wide lintian
> > run would give a nice list of candidates to inspect.
>
> This sounds like a good idea to me.  I guess it ought to be suggested
> to the pam folks and the lintian maintainers, to see what they think
> of it.

I'm not entirely sure if the other subthread here about a missing dbus
builddep has made this symlink thing obsolete. If not then I think that
it would be easier to take to the pam+lintian folks with at least one
concrete case in hand.

Mark,

I wonder if you could try and figure out where/what one of the things
using pam_systemd.so on your system is.

I went through [0] and apart from the systemd packaging runes only
found config snippets of /etc/pam.d config files. The only suspicious
thing I saw was [1] but on a quick glance that just seems to be
generating a config snippet rather than setting up to link against
anything. I'm just searching all source packages for the literal string
`pam_systemd.so` though, so if the name is being constructed in code
somehow it might not be found.

I also tried:
   sudo find {,/usr}{/bin,/sbin,/lib} -type f | while read i ; do n=$(ldd "$i" | grep -E '/lib.*/security/pam_.*\.so'); [ -n "$n" ] && (echo $i ; echo $n ) ; done

on three handy machines (Debian, two desktop ones were systemd with
lightdm and xfce+i3, one effectively headless one (mythtv) with
sysvinit, all runing testing/unstable although not bang up to date) and
it didn't find anything of interest.

Thanks,
Ian.
[0] https://codesearch.debian.net/search?q=pam_systemd.so&perpkg=1