Elogind v239.1 Devuan/Debian combined source

Ian Jackson ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Tue Nov 13 17:58:18 GMT 2018

KatolaZ writes ("Re: Elogind v239.1 Devuan/Debian combined source"):
> On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 02:33:03PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > I think we should have a common branch somewhere which people feel
> > free to commit to (or send MRs for).  I wasn't sure what branch name I
> > should use on the Devuan gitlab's main elogind tree so I did not push
> > this there.
> >
> > Could someone from Devuan please make a decree about what branch name
> > we should be using for this ?  Or, if this is not a sensible thing to
> > put in the Devuan tree, I will make a `group' and a `project' on Salsa
> > and push it to `master' there.
>
> on Devuan we use suites/unstable for the branch to be built in
> unstable. However, I guess that for the moment we would build the
> latest version for experimental (so it would go to
> suites/experimental). I will lieaise with Mike to make that happen.

Hi.  Thanks for your answer.

Are we intending to have a single branch for Debian and Devuan then ?
I mean, it would be nice to have a single package with 0 modifications
but I worry that if we make it impossible to maintain any divergence,
we may come a croppper.  OTOH maybe any such divergence can be
maintained as a suite-specific branch for release suites.

TBH I would be tempted to have a single shared branch called simply
`master' and to hang suite-specific branches (for both Debian and
Devuan) from that.

If we do that we will probably trip up a bit with conflicting changes
to debian/changelog and/or Maintainer in debian/control, but I guess
the mess will be tolerable and we can establish a convention about
what d/control and d/changelog look like in `master'.

Ian.

--
Ian Jackson <ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk>   These opinions are my own.